First Day of the shooting, after yesterday’s indoor shootings we realized that the idea with the flashes won’t work out so we moved outside. Moving the whole setup and realizing the camera is quite tricky, especially because the viewfinder of the cameras is like you’d expect it from a 10$ camera… here are two of the scenes we shot:
Looks cool, but actually it’s not: the fact that the flashes are going off during 4-7 frames means that we have a rang of about a 1/3 sec within the cameras are releasing… this is a raw example of ne of our first test shootings:
After a series of set-backs in the electronics department of our project, we can celebrate a big step forward today. Most of the electronics are working, all that’s left to do is to increase the power to trigger the cameras in order to overcome the long distances of the extension cables – hurray!
We finished all the mounting pieces and found a place inside mataderos where we can set up the installation and leave it there untouched until the end of the workshop. The only minus-point of the day: all the cameras have 2b rewired, electronics don’t work as easy as we thought: It’s not possible to just wire all the release-switches parallel – every one has to have it’s own opto-isolator plus pull-down resistor attached to it. Karolina is actually going crazy resoldering all the switches, cameras, resistors and opto-isolators…
Ok, here’s a fast endorse of the last days. Karolina and Sofy continued soldering all the cameras, i think they are finished in the meanwhile. We finally figured out how we’ll handle the mounting and the adjustment of the cameras and found a really great place to produce it: the woodshop of Mataderos, another project of INTERMEDIÆ Madrid. There’s an opening of an exhibition tonight, i’ll do a special post about it – that place’s definetily deserves it. As a preview you can check out the photos on Flickr tagged with Mataderos .
We continued to open up all the cameras and wired them in order to turn them all on and release the shutter at the same time. Also we wanted use a dip-switch for each camera to still have control over every single camera on it’s own. That’s when things got tricky, because when you wire all the switches parallel you connect all the cameras as soon as you make a connection at an point. But that was only the beginning: We had our first “Critiques” appointment and hey all let us know that they don’t believe we can make the project the way we think.
What followed then was good and bad at the same time. On the on hand some reactions were like: “Yeah, well, i didn’t get your project of all – but why don’t you go for this or that instead..”, which was more annoying then helpful, because at some point i had the feeling that some critiques just wanted to push the project in the direction that they felt like at the moment… On the other hand it was really helpful because we figured out a way to make a mounting that’s actually realizable and gives us the possibility to fine-tune the adjustments a little bit within the “fixed” camera.
I’ve chosen to join Karolina Sobecka’s Project mmodesty. We’ll build o low-cost virtual camera system. Therefore we will hack a bunch of single-use cameras in order to make them readable and release at the same time.
1st day: We started to break up some PDA readers that use the same interface like the single-use cameras.
The plan is to connect 30 cameras to one arduino in order to release the shutter simultanously. To do so we need to extend the outputs of the arduino, which originally has only 13 outputs. So, to get the ammount of output needed we built a Serial to Parallel Shifting-Out with a 74HC595 chip as explained on the arduino hompepage.
Since the hardware tasks of the day were fulfilled with excellence we started a test shooting with one of the cameras. Our testsetup was a half circle with a radius of 3.2m, with marks every 20cm.
this is the output of the first testshooting: file formats troubles